More than cool....


So much truth in this post.  Over the past four years of healing in our marriage we have really found ourselves examining so much of what we "thought" was right.  Examining how we lived our faith out.  Examining what we perceived to be true through the hazers, LED lights and appropriate placement of subwoofers (as to not "offend" the ears or arrhythmias of the members that were sitting within 9 feet of the stage;0).  This is something we are still attempting to grab hold of as we notice the world taking over our churches, and in turn, taking over the lives and families of the members attending them...  Maybe not in the literal way that we see in countries all over the world- forceful entry and images of lives being lost..... but definitely in the covert-op type of way.  We have been a part of it.  We have seen it.  We have justified it.  
 
As our lives change.  As our marriage grows.  As our children begin to grasp things and ask questions so do we.  Marriages will not be healed.  Lives will not be healed.  Homes will not be healed.  People will not come to truly know Christ if we, His bride- his church, continue to live or attempt to live in the land of relativity.   We are continuing to allow the world to tell us how to "do church" and that is dangerous. 
 
A message from Brian's heart...
 
The Bravery Continues:

 

Well, once again here comes the unprofessional blogger in the Russell family.  A few months seems have past since Kim and I have shared our most difficult time in our marriage.  I sit and read few comments, and the “likes” and I’m amazed.  I wish that I could just sit back and stay silent, and appreciate the fact that our story has affected people’s lives, and marriages, and call it good.  But I cannot stay silent.  So many of you have reached out to us privately, and thanked us, letting us know that we are not alone.  Kim and I can’t thank you enough.  To know that our story, and us letting down our guard, and being real with people has opened up communication in other marriages, and has helped bring healing, is more than we thought imaginable.  God is so good.

 

Since moving to Texas, we have found an amazing church.  We are just now starting to get connected with people.  The pastor is young, probably mid 30’s, and has a passion for being real.  Last Sunday he didn’t even preach, and the prayer and worship time was one of the most powerful services I’ve attended in a long time.  It’s tuff looking back at all my involvement in ministry and realizing that I put my focus on making Jesus relevant, and not about making Him real.  You see, our Pastor here stated, “if your focus is making Jesus cool and relevant, you better be willing to constantly change.”   Made me think if our focus as a church is just on Jesus alone, He is the same yesterday, today, and forever.  I was caught up in a life of making Jesus seem cool, and if a church could not do that, I’ll be honest, I discounted it.  Now, either by getting older and wiser, or just not as concerned about my coolness, I get it.  I see it.  The post traditional church has made a theatrical spectrum of Jesus, and it’s become  a lot more than about just Jesus.  It saddens me that we cannot be in awe and amazement by His words, life, and sacrifice alone.  I have to apologize for my actions, for my ignorance of God’s true gift.  You see, I was caught up in the idea of a cool Jesus to reach my friends, teens, and anyone that needed cool Jesus.  But wow, how He is so much more, and deserves to be more than what we see fit and relevant in today’s society.  He is the alpha, the omega, the beginning and the end, the same yesterday, today, and for eternity.  Don’t make Him out to be anything other than the King of Kings, the One true sacrifice for our sins.  He deserves so much more than what our mortal thoughts can portray Him as. 

 

In saying all of that, this generation needs to be the one that makes Him more real than ever.  This generation needs to be the one that can learn to be more real with each other than ever.  To get into each other’s lives more than surface.  To know that people struggle, sin, and are ashamed, so that healing can occur.  I’m sick of people thinking I have my crap together, because I don’t.  I’m not the best dad, husband, Christian, but I’m forgiven, and I’m made complete in Him.  It makes me want to strive to be the best, for Him, my beautiful wife, and 4 amazing kids.  Open your hearts, be real, and let His healing hand break years of callused sin and shame.

Comments

KateBannet said…
Limiting words make a broad topic workable. They focus the topic area further by indicating aspects you should narrowly concentrate on www.uk.essay-writing-place.com

Popular Posts